miércoles, 29 de octubre de 2008

Do you celebrate Halloween?

Halloween, or Hallowe’en, is an international holiday celebrated on October 31. Halloween activities include trick-or-treating, ghost tours, bonfires, costume parties, visiting haunted attractions, carving jack-o'-lanterns, reading scary stories and watching horror movies.

The origin of this feast is in the Irish Samhain, which was the a festival on the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture, with aspects of a Festival of the Dead and it was also a celebration of the Celtic New Year. This feast was not only celebrated in Ireland, but also in a lot of places with Celtic origin like Galicia, Asturias, Bretaña, etc.

Nowadays, Halloween is celebrated in several countries of the Western world, most commonly in the United States, Canada, Ireland, Puerto Rico, Japan, New Zealand, United Kingdom and occasionally in parts of Australia. In Sweden the All Saints' official holiday takes place on the first Saturday of November.


I know Halloween is a new event in Spain, but in Galicia and in countries with a Celtic origin people have been celebrating it for centuries. Why is it so popular? Maybe because it's funny and different from the typical All Saints' day. What about you? Do you like it? Have you ever disguised yourself as a witch, a ghost, a skeleton, or anything to go to a Halloween party? Or, do you prefer the typical All Saints' day in Spain? Tell us about your preferences and why.

7 comentarios:

Tania dijo...

I really like halloween. This year i am working in a thematic park (poratventura) and halloween is one of the knowest partys in the park. I am a dancer, and i dance in a halloween show called "el salon de media noche", there i am a vampire and i try to beat everybody. I think is amazing and i really enjoy that.
Tania

César Juncal dijo...
Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.
César Juncal dijo...

I think that the Halloween is a tipycal american tradition that it has been implanted in our country.

I am really disagree with it because I think that these tradition can make us to loose our traditions.

Ana Vázquez dijo...

Hi Tania

Remember tu use "I", the pronoun" always with capital letters.

"...one of the most well-known parties..."

"...I think it's amazing..."

How funny! It's wonderful to enjoy that way.

See you.

Ana Vázquez dijo...

Hi César

At last, I've found your comment.

Remember that we don't need to use the verb "to be" with "agree/disagree", so you'll have to say "I really disagree..."

Remember also that "this" is singular and it's what you need here (This tradition) and "these" is plural so it has to be followed by a plural noun.

"...make us lose...." remember that "make" can be use with this meaning and that it is followed by the object pronoun and infinitive without "to". "lose" = stop having a particular attitude, quality, ability etc, or to gradually have less of it.
"loose" to make something unpleasant begin .

See you.

César Juncal dijo...

Hi Ana,

I have just reed your mail.....I was afraid; jajjaja

Thanks you for your answer, I think that there were some very important mistakes but I didn`t realise when I was writting the paragraph.

see you

César

César Juncal dijo...

I have one simpathy question:

How would you writte in English the spanish expression? (jajajajaj)

I´m interested in know it; perhaps my question is a stupid thing

I´m sorry

bye bye again

César